Sunday, October 12, 2014

C4T #2

Pernille Ripp
Ms. Ripp is now a 7th grade reading teacher and is also the founder of the Global Read Aloud Project. She has written 2 books: First book “Passionate Learners – Giving Our Classrooms Back to Our Students” can be purchased now from Powerful Learning Press. Second book“Empowered Schools, Empowered Students – Creating Connected and Invested Learners” is out now from Corwin Press.

Post #1
The first post I commented on was from September 25, 2014 and was titled, So What Has Actually Been Working - 7th Grade Readers Workshop. It was a great read! She went through explaining things that have worked in her new experience as a 7th grade teacher and what she has had to tweek from her last year as a 5th grade teacher. She had several great ideas I plan to use for the future (according to what grade I end up teaching) and I also added her to my PLN. She has great insight into being a teacher and just great personal insight as well. I was very impressed my her writing and enthusiasm.

My Comment
Hi Ms. Ripp! My name is Sabrina and I am a student at the University of South Alabama in the EDM 310 class. I was assigned by my teacher, Dr. Strange, to read and comment on your blog. It’s part of gathering our PLN and also getting to see what real teachers are going through and learning from them. Your blog was the perfect one! I am studying to be an Elementary teacher, but I loved your ideas of choice and encouraging the 10 minutes of reading at the beginning of the class. That is something I feel would work great if I am teaching 4th grade and up. It’s a great way to get the class calm before digging in. I know as a student that always made me a little stressed out or wired when we just dove in.
I am assigned to comment next week also, so I am excited to dig deeper into your posts and see what awaits. I will also be commenting on it next week in my own blog, here. I am also going to start following you on Twitter, because I think you have some great insights and would be a valuable addition to my PLN. Again, thank you and I hope you have a blessed day!



Post #2
The second post I commented on was from October 11, 2014 and was titled, The Forms I Use, Readers Workshop In The Middle School Classroom. It was very interesting. She talks about the way she keeps track of her classroom and how she uses self-assessment with her 7th grade students. She uses a binder for each class, each student has their own tab and she keeps records on each one. (old test scores, what she has noticed about them daily and a checklist of how they are improving and their self-assessments) I really like this idea and will probably implement this in my own classroom.

My Comment
Hi Mrs. Ripp, this will be my last comment on your blog. I've really enjoyed reading the your posts and insights. I like the process you go through in this post about keeping up with your students progress. I think I am going to use this in my own classroom, when I finally get there. I love that they have their own tab and you give them self-assessments. I think that is important for them to begin so that later in their life they can continue to assess themselves and grow as people in their careers. Again, thank you for your insights and good luck in your future endeavours.


students looking into teachers lounge

No comments:

Post a Comment